T 'n' T - Tesco and the Tunnel
- Excellent way to lower the overall cost of your motoring holiday
The Tesco Clubcard scheme gives it’s users to dramatically reduce their holiday costs by booking a Eurotunnel crossing with Tesco Deals.
Tesco Clubcard Deals & Eurotunnel are a very popular way of cutting the cost of your travels. Those who are regular shoppers at Tesco will be aware of the Tesco Clubcard and the resulting Tesco Clubcard Deals. For every £1 spent in store, one Clubcard Point is awarded to the Clubcard holder. At the end of the quarter, these points are totalled up and converted to vouchers that are redeemable in store. It is possible that the methods in which points are awarded may differ in the future. In the past, it was two points per one pound spent.
Here is an example of how your points may tot up.
Spend £1000 in Tesco during the quarterly collecting period. This gives the Clubcard member 1000 points, which is worth £10.00 in vouchers. These vouchers are posted out at the end of the collecting period. The £10 voucher can be spent in store at Tesco. However, it is worth three times its face value when converted to Tesco Clubcard Deals. Eurotunnel is one of the Tesco Clubcard Deals and this may be of particular interest to motorhomers and caravanners. The vouchers that are received on a quarterly basis have an expiry date so you can save them up for future use. These Tesco Clubcard vouchers are valid for approximately two years and you can view your vouchers on-line via the Tesco website.
Converting Tesco Clubcard Deals into a Eurotunnel crossing
The booking procedure may sound complex but it is actually quite straight forward.
1) Check the Eurotunnel website and obtain an approximate value of your crossing.
2) Calculate how many Tesco vouchers you will require for your crossing. For example, a crossing costing £60 would require £20 in Tesco vouchers. Tesco vouchers are the ones you receive on a quarterly basis. (You could use less vouchers and pay cash for the difference in the value of your crossing when you make the reservation with Eurotunnel).
3) Convert the Tesco vouchers – the ones you have received on a quarterly basis – into a Tesco Clubcard Deals Token for Eurotunnel. This can be done online via the Tesco website.
4) Your Tesco Clubcard Deals token will then be emailed to you along with more details about completing the booking.
5) Once in possession of the Tesco Clubcard Deal Tokens (by email), make your booking with the Eurotunnel call centre on 01303 282061. This booking, made with Tesco Clubcard Deal Tokens, cannot be made online. You must have the deals token/code number with you when you call. The booking agent will ask for the reference number from the token.
6) Once you have made the booking, Eurotunnel staff will provide you with a booking reference and this will be emailed to you. This reference is used at check in at the terminal.
7) Enjoy your trip!
There are also various other ferry operators within the Tesco Clubcard Deals scheme. I have however only made use of the Tesco Clubcard Deals & Eurotunnel offer. Similarly, there are other Clubcard deals available such as restaurants, days out and so on.
In addition to shopping at Tesco, you can also earn points at Tesco petrol stations or by spending using a Tesco credit card and humpteen other methods.
Full details of the Clubcard scheme are available on the Tesco website, following the links to Clubcard. I have not paid for an Eastern Channel sea crossing for quite some years and the Tesco Clubcard Deals scheme certainly helps with the holiday budget.
Tesco Clubcard Deals & Eurotunnel – take note
Note – from time to time, Tesco Clubcard vouchers are worth double their face value in store, so for example a £20 Clubcard voucher would be worth £40 in store. This does nto compare to well to the £60 for a tunnel crossing. However, you might well be able to get a ferry crossing for less than £40, so sometimes, it is better value for money to spend the vouchers in store at double their face value, and pay cash for a ferry crossing. Of course, many will simply prefer the Eurotunnel option to a ferry, and so the pricing may be irrelevant!
Don’t forget that when travelling across the water, there are various items you are legally required to take. Voyager carries this RING travel pack. Click on the above Amazon image for more info!