The Fiat Ducato radio is fitted as standard to many Fiat based motorhomes. Many motorhomers use the radio or CD player for entertainment purposes when pitched. Unfortunately, the radio is set to turn itself off after twenty minutes. However, the number of minutes can be increased by using the settings menu.
Here is a step by step guide to ensure that your music or radio program is not interrupted by the automatic switch of feature of the Fiat Ducato radio. These instructions relate to the X2/50 cab, usually 2007 – 2014. If you have a 2015 x290 cab, (slimmer headlights), click here for our step by step guide to accessing camper mode for that cab type.
1) Switch on the Fiat Ducato radio. Your display will look something like that shown below.
2) Within 15 seconds of switching the unit on, press the “FM AS” but and the “2” button – at the same time!
3) After pressing these two buttons simultaneously, your display will now show “CAMPER POWER MODE”. When pressing these two buttons at the same time, you MAY have to keep them pressed for a few seconds. My radio switches over to camper mode immediately. However, I have heard reports that sometimes, you may need to keep the buttons pressed for a few seconds.
4) Once you are in the “camper power mode”, press the MENU button once and then the “UP” arrow a couple of times until you see the words “RADIO OFF”. (The “up arrow” is located above the main on/off switch)
5) When the words “RADIO OFF” display, you may use the left and right arrow key to alter the switch off time from zero to 180 minutes.
To return to the “normal mode”, repeat steps 1 and 2. You must however switch the radio off first. So, if you are in “normal mode” and want to change to “camper mode”, switch off the radio, leave it a moment, and then follow the steps above.
The photo above shows the system back in normal mode. In normal mode, the radio will stay on for a maximum for twenty minutes. Visit the Fiat website for more technical help
Fiat Ducato radio – flatten a battery?
Be a tad careful though – I have no experience of a flat battery with my motorhome. I do not know how long running a radio would take to discharge a battery. Equally, I have not been able to find the power requirements to operate the Fiat Ducato cab radio.
Many motorhomes are fitted with an on board charging system that will charge both the leisure and vehicle battery. Check your motorhome hand book for more information about the charging system.